Signs of mold in your home

Not all molds are dangerous, but it can be irritating for those with sensitivities. It doesn’t matter how clean and dry you keep your house because the world has thousands of species of mold.

Mold is everywhere, and all houses naturally have mold. Most types, in small amounts, are harmless but when the growth is more than normal due to favorable conditions, or a type that is dangerous, they can cause severe respiratory conditions and allergic reactions. To be safe, you should be aware of the signs to look out for to see if mold is a danger in your home.

High Moisture levels

Mold requires water to thrive. If you have areas in your house with high levels of moisture such as around windows and doors or in basements or laundry rooms, then you could potentially have a great mold problem. Areas with humid climatic conditions require more vigilance because mold thrives well in such areas. The more dampness in an area, the chances of mold growth increase.

 Musty Smell

If your home smells earthy or musty, this is an apparent indication that you have a mold infestation. Molds are living; they are tiny fungi that will grow and feed on organic materials such as paper, leaves and wooden surfaces. If you think there is a smell similar to the forest undergrowth, that is a red flag that there is mold growing somewhere in your home. Your sense of smell is invaluable and soon as you experience this musty smell you should have your home inspected since mold can grow almost anywhere, even in places that aren’t dark and damp.

Allergic symptoms

If you or the members of your family have allergic reactions, it could mean that there is mold in your house. The conditions caused by the presence of mold include respiratory complications, skin irritation, itchy eyes, coughing, headaches, and sinus problems, just to mention a few. If you start feeling symptoms like this due to mold in the home, you need to eradicate it immediately.  People with other allergies are more susceptible to mold related allergies, and they are more sensitive to dangerous, toxic molds which could prove fatal.

Strange specks

Molds will grow on just about anything. They have different colors ranging from black, brown, green, white, and sometimes orange. These specks are an indication that molds are growing on whatever surface you see them on. The most common surfaces where you will find molds growing include but not limited to furniture, air vents, walls, sink cabinets, crawlspaces, windows, bathroom surfaces, and food.

When to get rid of mold

Do not wait to see the signs of mold in your home. You need to actively inspect for it. When you look for mold, you are also keeping an eye out for other issues your home may be having, and this is a great way to help keep your home safer, as you may find other issues before they become a big problem.

If you find mold, remove it immediately. You also need to take actions to eliminate the underlying cause, which generally is a moisture issue. A professional waterproofer like Rogers Basement Waterproofing can help to make sure that the mold will be less likely to come back while preventing additional moisture-related problems that can plague your home.

Previous Awards
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014