Avoid mold and mildew

A common side effect of moisture in your basement or crawlspace or anywhere else in your home is the growth of mold and mildew. Mold is a fungus and mildew is a type of mold.

This organic growth can make your home smell bad, and they can look unsightly on whatever surface they are growing on. Beyond simply smelling bad and looking ugly, these fungi can make you and your family sick. If you see mold, you need to take action by doing things like:

  • Remove mold right away in a safe way, keeping your eyes, mouth, and skin covered so that you won’t have contact with potentially dangerous spores. You can use solutions with bleach, ammonia, vinegar, or other liquid mixtures to get the job done.
  • Improve ventilation while you are cleaning up the mold and after. Proper ventilation can help to make sure that no one will get sick from mold spores, and it will help to retard further mold growth.
  • Remedy the problem leading to mold growth. This may mean installing a humidifier or exhaust fan in the area where the growth is occurring, or it may mean involving a professional waterproofer.
  • Clean kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and other areas where you have fixtures or humidity regularly to keep mold from growing. This should include cleaning out your refrigerator and cupboards often, as mold here can also make you ill.

Previous Awards
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014